Fall Comforts: Creating a Cozy and Safe Home Environment
As the temperature begins to drop, and the leaves transform into beautiful shades of orange and yellow, the holiday season waits just around the corner. During this time, we often find ourselves wanting to slow down and get cozy. Nothing beats the feeling of sitting on the couch on a crisp autumn evening, sipping your favorite hot drink, and experiencing a sense of warmth, comfort, and safety. For families with aging senior adults who choose to remain in the comfort of their own homes, the fall season presents a great opportunity to ensure their living environment is safe. Here are some essential tips to keep in mind:
Reduce the Risk of Falls:
Falling is a major health hazard for senior adults, causing millions of injuries every year. You can reduce the risk of your loved one falling by:
- Clear walkways and doorways of small items.
- Verify that stairs are in good condition and have a handrail.
- Keep hallways well-lit at night.
- Clearly mark entrance steps.
- Remove any loose rugs.
Easy-to-use technology can help keep your aging loved one safe by reducing fall risk, alerting you to an emergency situation if needed, and helping with medication management. Consider the following:
- Encourage your loved one to use a medical alert device.
- Assist them in setting up their phone for easy connectivity.
- Install a home alarm system.
- Invest in hearing aids if needed.
- Regularly check smoke detectors.
- Test the carbon monoxide detector.
- Make sure there is a functioning fire extinguisher in the kitchen.
Consider Professional In-Home Care:
Hiring a professional caregiver ensures your aging family member can continue living at home safely while providing you peace of mind. Non-medical in-home care services include:
- Companionship services for times when you can't be there.
- Personal care, including bathing, toileting, grooming, and hygiene.
- Meal preparation to ensure nutrition and kitchen safety.
- Transportation to appointments and social events.
- Assistance with household duties such as laundry, cleaning, and organizing.
- Respite care and 24-hour care when necessary.
Just as the seasons change, it's natural for your loved one's needs to evolve as they transition into senior adulthood. For more guidance on creating a safe and cozy home environment, download our Home Safety Assessment. At HomeSpark, we offer a complimentary on-site visit with a Certified Service Representative who will conduct a comprehensive safety assessment and create a personalized care plan for your family. Contact us today to learn more about our in-home care services and schedule your Home Safety Assessment.